When you have a big construction project, it’s important to have a professional team that knows what they’re doing to make it all happen. The general contractor you hire plays a crucial role in any project’s success, as they oversee the daily operations at the construction site, manage vendors and trades, and communicate with all parties involved. Therefore, choosing a general contractor with the knowledge and skills to effectively manage your project is essential.
As a leading construction company in the industry, Gateway Building Company has a wealth of experience selecting and working with general contractors. In this article, we will share our expertise on how to choose a general contractor for your construction project.
Choosing the Right General Contractor
When looking for the right general contractor, you will want one that ideally has the experience, expertise, and necessary permits required to complete your project. If you find a contractor that meets your needs, you can go a step further and check their rating with the Better Business Bureau (BBB). Call them or schedule an initial consultation to make sure they’re the right fit for your project.
Questions to Ask a General Contractor
Hiring someone to complete your unique project is no small task, so it is crucial to make sure any potential contractors have the necessary skills and tools. When meeting with potential contractors, consider asking the following questions:
- How long has the company been in business? This question can help determine if they have the experience necessary for more complex projects.
- What kind of experience do they have with this type of project? Perhaps one of the most important questions to ask! A contractor with plenty of experience with your type of project may be better than someone with little to no experience in this area.
- Do they have the necessary permits or licenses? Having the correct permits and licenses ensures that your project is done safely and legally. A general contractor should know which permits are necessary for your project but we suggest doing your research as well.
- Do they have references? References from past projects will give you the honest truth about the general contractors you are considering. Hearing from past customers is also a great way to learn how the process will work on your side of the project.
- What is the cost estimate? Getting a quote can help you determine how everything fits into your budget, ensuring you have the proper funds for what you need to be done.
- What is the timeline for this project? When you get a cost estimate from a general contractor, they should be able to give you a rough timeline as well. Keep in mind that a timeline is NOT a deadline. External and internal factors can always change your project’s timeline, but having an initial estimate can help you stay on track.
- Are they insured? Having an insured contractor protects both them and you, making this a vital question. Potential general contractors may already have this information on their website, allowing you to confirm before scheduling a meeting.
This first meeting is also an excellent opportunity to ask any questions about your unique project. Write your questions down as you think of them so you remember when the time comes to ask.
How to Hire a General Contractor
If you haven’t done so already, the first step to hiring a general contractor is research. Ask people you know if they have recommendations, or search online to find contractors in your area. Look at online reviews for places you’re considering and check the Better Business Bureau website for each business.
Once you’ve found a few potential contractors, schedule time to meet with any you are seriously considering. Bring your list of questions to any phone calls or meetings. If you feel they are the right fit, it’s time to discuss any details, contracts, payments, etc. Make a plan for how and when to get your project started. Your newly hired general contractor will help you flesh out the intricacies of your project.
Choose Gateway Building Company For Your Project
As a locally owned and operated commercial general contractor with an unlimited-class North Carolina license, Gateway Building Company is dedicated to serving the Triangle and surrounding areas of NC. Our team has a wealth of experience in all aspects of construction, including pre-construction planning, construction management, and commercial general contracting services.
With a diverse portfolio of completed projects and construction experience dating back to 1974, we are well-equipped to handle any challenge that may come our way. Our incredible team is made up of professional project managers, superintendents, estimators, and administrative support, who all have the expertise and knowledge to bring your vision to life.
Schedule a meeting to discuss your project if you’re ready to see how Gateway Building Company can make it a major success.